Pricing difference between EV+Gas (Harvester) vs. Full-EV model?

cmiller

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ford bronco
Country flag
Don't recall them saying the overall price will be cheaper, but it was said that it will be cheaper to build compared to just full EV given the smaller battery. Hopefully this equates to the scout harvester being cheaper, but when has a car company ever passed on the savings to their customers. I am guessing it cost them less and cost us more

MountainAlive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lighting ER 512A
Country flag
I’m not aware of any other EV doing this approach so I guess we’ll have to wait and see. My guess is that it’ll be a little more expensive due to the complexity of the system but probably under $5k additional. But again just a hunch.

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MME delivered May '23 + '22 Lightning July '22
Country flag
I put myself down for the EV + generator Traveler.

Wife has a PHEV w/ small 17kWh battery and it's small 7 gallon gas tank is amazing being able to run tandem EV + ICE for 350 mile range.

Currently drive an EV Mach E and love it but on long distance drives, wished for ICE option.

James Lancaster

First Name
james
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla model y, ford f150, jeep wrangler
Country flag
I want the range extender to tow my big ass boat to and from remote lakes with no recharge options. I will probably wait for some real world tests towing before I completely commit.

chopsui

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure, Limestone, 21Inch
Country flag
One configuration gets you ~350 miles and the other gets you ~500. Five hundred is more than 350 so it will be more expensive regardless of the cost to manufacture it.

Sparkland

First Name
Bradford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Kia Shortage Hybrid
Country flag
I expect the added generator edition to be more expensive because both have a range of 350 miles before the range extender kicks in. I am guessing around $5K more for the Harvester.

Last edited:

Rockside

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Cruiser
Country flag
I think some people are forgetting this is an EV first and foremost. If you want to tow all day and longer distances… you should buy a IC engine. I don’t think that is who Scout is catering to.

Primarily, the gas generator relieves the anxiety for new adopters with fear of being stuck with no juice. Most buyers will likely almost never use the feature in day-to-day driving. But it will be super nice to have when you want/need it.

It also is the first EV to appeal to the true off-roader or overlander who wants to ensure a 5-gallon jerry can get them to the next charge.

LoneWolfo6

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning
Country flag
Batteries are expensive, so I'd also guess the Harvester will be cheaper with a battery half the size or smaller than the BEV models.
It's starting to sound like the junk Jeep Wrangler with an engine and battery that only gets 18 miles in full EV mode. LOL.

Foobar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Rivian R1T, '19 Tesla Model 3P, '22 Energica Eva Ribelle
Country flag
I think some people are forgetting this is an EV first and foremost. If you want to tow all day and longer distances… you should buy a IC engine. I don’t think that is who Scout is catering to.

Primarily, the gas generator relieves the anxiety for new adopters with fear of being stuck with no juice. Most buyers will likely almost never use the feature in day-to-day driving. But it will be super nice to have when you want/need it.

It also is the first EV to appeal to the true off-roader or overlander who wants to ensure a 5-gallon jerry can get them to the next charge.
We need to start somewhere, so I welcome the notion of exploring this platform as a Tow Vehicle.

In fact, I'm already on the bleeding edge using a Rivian R1T as a primary Tow Vehicle for an 8000 lb travel trailer - it is by no means an ideal situation, but so long as you do your homework and are OK with making additional stops along the way, it's more than capable. There are, in fact, many aspects of EV Tow Vehicles that actually give it an edge over the ICE counterparts (instant torque, all time time; less points of mechanical failure, quiet operation driving through the wilderness or through a campground, additional storage for gear, to name a few), but range and refueling is something that a contemporary EV just can't compete on.

EREV changes this, and the more of us that hop on to this, the better these things will get.

krs71

First Name
Krish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Country flag
So the ramcharger I'm assuming is going to need oil changes, since they are putting in a full v6 under the front hood. I wonder what kind of maintenance the harvester will need for it's gas based engine and what kind of CO out put it's going to produce.

MTN COLT

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Bronco Badlands
Country flag
I expect the added generator edition to be more expensive because both have a range of 350 miles before the range extender kicks in. I am guessing around $5K more for the Harvester.
I kinda agree with this logic. If you want more of anything compared to the base, you have to pay more, according to car manufacturer logic.

commadorebob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Country flag
My guess is the price will be about the same. Fewer expensive batteries offset by the extra engineering and EPA compliance needed for a gas engine.

On plus side, I think it will then qualify as a PHEV for registration purposes in most states.

Rouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-E
The Harvester definitely won't be more expensive than the full EV version. They will likely sell it for the same/very similar price to the base EV because of demand and make a better margin on those vehicles than the EV.

It seems likely there will be three battery sizes. One that gives around 350 miles of range, a less expensive (base model) full EV that gets around 250 miles of range, and the Harvester that gets around 150 miles of EV range. If that's the case, the 40% reduction in battery size between the base EV and the Harvester will more than pay for the cost of adding the gas engine system.

73 Scout II

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Maverick, 2013 Mercedes GLK 250, 2005 Mini Cooper S
Look at when Ford rolled out Maverick. The hybrid was their cheapest base unit, no longer the case. I think it’s best to buy these trucks at launch because you know prices will increase for next model year. I will go with extended warranty just for peace of mind though the posted warranty looks pretty good.

Rouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-E
Look at when Ford rolled out Maverick. The hybrid was their cheapest base unit, no longer the case. I think it’s best to buy these trucks at launch because you know prices will increase for next model year. I will go with extended warranty just for peace of mind though the posted warranty looks pretty good.
But with the Maverick you're comparing a smaller gas engine + a battery vs. a larger gas engine. The delta in price between two similar internal combustion engines is going to be smaller than the delta in price between a large and medium size battery pack.

But I completely agree with you that it's very possible pricing in the first model year will look good compared to what it is a couple of years after that.