antwon412

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Gladiator Mojave w/ Lone Peak Camper
Country flag
I must be misunderstanding the purpose of this. Why would you want to disable your range extender?

does the range extender use the 150 miles of gas before it switches all to battery mode? I guess I assumed it would be the opposite. You would use all the battery and then when needed the extender mode would pop on to give you an extra 150 miles to make it to a recharging spot

Last edited:

MrOzMan

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sorento
I was actually wondering if it could do that. Say you’re crossing a fairly deep river. You don’t have a snorkel to protect the generator. You switch the generator off, cross through the river in full electric mode, and no water goes into the intake.

Scout997

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Country flag
I must be misunderstanding the purpose of this. Why would you want to disable your range extender?

does the range extender use the 150 miles of gas before it switches all to battery mode? I guess I assumed it would be the opposite. You would use all the battery and then when needed the extender mode would pop on to give you an extra 150 miles to make it to a recharging spot
It's tough to say without understanding the implementation of the range extender. It's always good to have the option, the example MrOzman mentioned could happen. Having some experience with Rivian I'm less concerned about having a software option at launch than I am understanding the specs and compromises.

MountainAlive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lighting ER 512A
Country flag

I’m guessing this generator is probably 5-7kW charge rate. Maybe less. Its only purpose is to charge the main battery, not drive the vehicle. So you have to factor in how long it takes to charge the battery, while you’re driving and using the battery. This is probably why it needs to kick on as early as 150mi of driving. Then as you continue to drive there’s enough fuel to keep the generator going and charging the EV battery for the equivalent of another 350 miles (150+350).

Rockside

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Cruiser
Country flag
Here is my guess on how the Range Extender (RE) will work:

With RE Off
As long as you stay within the battery’s range or have access to charging… it’ll function like every other EV. For most days and for most drivers, this is the mode it’ll stay in for daily driving. You’ll get 3.5 miles avg per 1% battery drop.

With RE On; Battery at 35-100%
The battery will be supplemented by the generator with no output performance drop in the vehicle. The battery will simply be charging while being used… so battery % drops slower than without RE on. If turned on early in trip, you should have no drop in highway speeds for the whole 500 miles. You’ll get 5 miles avg for each 1% of battery drop.

With RE On; Battery below 35%
To prevent the battery from getting too low, performance of the vehicle will be throttled slightly to allow gas generator to slow the rate of battery depletion.

With RE On; Battery at 0% (or critically low)
Generator will charge battery at a rate that allows limited performance - approx. 42.9% max performance output. This is not ideal but would allow someone in a bad situation to limp along to find a charge or get home.

It is not my opinion that just by having gasoline you can drive infinitely with this vehicle. The gas has to have time to charge the battery. It is not more efficient than the battery - meaning a moving vehicle will always show battery loss - even with generator running. The vehicle would have to remain off to see battery charge upward.

chopsui

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure, Limestone, 21Inch
Country flag
It is not more efficient than the battery - meaning a moving vehicle will always show battery loss - even with generator running. The vehicle would have to remain off to see battery charge upward.
I think this is the point that an awful lot of people are missing.

commadorebob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Country flag

With RE Off
As long as you stay within the battery’s range or have access to charging… it’ll function like every other EV. For most days and for most drivers, this is the mode it’ll stay in for daily driving. You’ll get 3.5 miles avg per 1% battery drop.

The battery will be supplemented by the generator with no output performance drop in the vehicle. The battery will simply be charging while being used… so battery % drops slower than without RE on. If turned on early in trip, you should have no drop in highway speeds for the whole 500 miles. You’ll get 5 miles avg for each 1% of battery drop.

To prevent the battery from getting too low, performance of the vehicle will be throttled slightly to allow gas generator to slow the rate of battery depletion.

Generator will charge battery at a rate that allows limited performance - approx. 42.9% max performance output. This is not ideal but would allow someone in a bad situation to limp along to find a charge or get home.

It is not my opinion that just by having gasoline you can drive infinitely with this vehicle. The gas has to have time to charge the battery. It is not more efficient than the battery - meaning a moving vehicle will always show battery loss - even with generator running. The vehicle would have to remain off to see battery charge upward.
I like this breakdown but I disagree with the final paragraph. My opinion is the RE will charge the battery but it's primary purpose is to provide enough power to the vehicle to keep it moving. So, at a minimum I believe the generator will have the same max output power as the wheels.

I do not think it will drive and charge simultaneously. But given they are advertising the fact you can "fill up anywhere" in relation to either power or gas leads me to believe the range is unlimited as long as you have gas.

Of course, until we see specs, we don't really know.

Howard

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Scout Maverick Escape
Country flag
I was actually wondering if it could do that. Say you’re crossing a fairly deep river. You don’t have a snorkel to protect the generator. You switch the generator off, cross through the river in full electric mode, and no water goes into the intake.
BIG ASSUMPTION here. Do you think the electronics are waterproofed enough to handle water deep enough to need a snorkel?

MrOzMan

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sorento
BIG ASSUMPTION here. Do you think the electronics are waterproofed enough to handle water deep enough to need a snorkel?
Not really an assumption (big or small). They’re saying almost 3’ water depth (that is really good). Hopefully the generator allows operation at that depth also. But switching it off wouldn’t be a bad idea for a crossing.

Last edited:

chopsui

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure, Limestone, 21Inch
Country flag
So, at a minimum I believe the generator will have the same max output power as the wheels.
They've said the max torque of the EV is 1000+ ft/lbs. Based on similar number from Rivian, we can guess on the order of 800hp. The gas generator will not produce anywhere near that kind of power.

gultin

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius

With RE Off

Seems like a significant amount of compromise to be able to handle niche scenarios, where EV charging/planning isn't an option. Not a tradeoff that I'd personally make, but I can understand there would be folks that may want the option.

Rockside

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Cruiser
Country flag
Seems like a significant amount of compromise to be able to handle niche scenarios, where EV charging/planning isn't an option. Not a tradeoff that I'd personally make, but I can understand there would be folks that may want the option.
I think it’s a “tool” for those that need it. Nothing more. I cannot possibly imagine the generator will provide enough output for infinite range with no drop in performance. I think some think this is an engine. But it’s just a gas powered battery charger. You just can’t tow a trailer or drive 80 mph and think you’ll drive over 500 miles without stopping to charge.