Havrvester owners (future) here! Who's going EREV Electric + Gas Range Extender 🔋⛽️

Lakesinai

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2121 Bronco OBX, 2019 Subaru Outback, 2011 Subar
Country flag
I wonder what the Terra range will be when towing close to that 10K pound capacity…
Towing is reported to reduce range by at least 2/3 according to reviews of vehicles like the F150 Lightning. Eg, 300 miles range becomes 100 miles range towing. Some of the respondents here have said that from experience. And cold weather, hills, using the AC and, as you say, weight will also affect that. The Generator may fix that, but I don't think I'd be buying a Scout for day-long, 300-500 mile trailer towing. Maybe Scout's ok for putting the boat in the water if it's 30 minutes away? But maybe not a multi-day camping trailer trip? Will be interesting to see what the real-life specs are! It will be real funny if I end up putting some Rotopax Gas Cans on my Scout EV so that I can run the generator more!

cvollers

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Alltrack
Country flag
Towing is reported to reduce range by at least 2/3 according to reviews of vehicles like the F150 Lightning. Eg, 300 miles range becomes 100 miles range towing. Some of the respondents here have said that from experience. And cold weather, hills, using the AC and, as you say, weight will also affect that. The Generator may fix that, but I don't think I'd be buying a Scout for day-long, 300-500 mile trailer towing. Maybe Scout's ok for putting the boat in the water if it's 30 minutes away? But maybe not a multi-day camping trailer trip? Will be interesting to see what the real-life specs are! It will be real funny if I end up putting some Rotopax Gas Cans on my Scout EV so that I can run the generator more!
Rotopax to the rescue! :)

cvollers

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Alltrack
Country flag
The extender is a new concept for me, so apologies if I’m wrong … but my understanding is that since It’s not a combustion engine, you can’t just keep putting gas in it to extend the life of the battery in perpetuity. Can someone with 100% understanding chime in on this?
It’s a fuel-powered combustion generator. Like carrying a running Honda generator while you are driving…only built in and much safer.

mataxis

First Name
Carson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Land Cruiser and 2024 Grand Highlander
It’s a fuel-powered combustion generator. Like carrying a running Honda generator while you are driving…only built in and much safer.
The key question is: can you just keep filling up the tank on a 12 hour / 700 mile drive, or do you HAVE to stop and recharge?

KnappyRedd

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Telluride
The extender is what got me sold. My co worker has been trying to convince me to go EV and get a Tesla, but I don't trust the range. Harvester changes everything now.

MTN COLT

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Bronco Badlands

cvollers

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Alltrack
Country flag
The key question is: can you just keep filling up the tank on a 12 hour / 700 mile drive, or do you HAVE to stop and recharge?
I have no idea. Scout Motors is being pretty tight lipped about the Harvester. Perhaps rightly so. The bigger question is can the reservation be cancelled and the $100 refunded?

TigerEyeJazz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Honda HR-V Sport.
Country flag
I have no idea. Scout Motors is being pretty tight lipped about the Harvester. Perhaps rightly so. The bigger question is can the reservation be cancelled and the $100 refunded?
It can be cancelled and refunded. I think you can even transfer to the EV variant

mackgriggs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, r1s, model y
Country flag
Based on the unveiling event, the Harvester is about 56:44 electric:generator. Keep in mind that the gas motor goes not power the wheels, it charges the battery.
Hmm, I don't remember that in the unveiling event (and just rewatched that part of the video and it doesn't seem like the number is shown)....where did you get that info on 56:44?

I could have sworn..that this article ->

https://insideevs.com/news/738669/scout-traveler-terra-revealed/

Last night stated that it they received a pre-release article that stated the harvester was 150mile range on battery, and the rest gas, though...Its not there anymore. It does show the article was edited today to remove the "quad motor variant" so maybe they weren't supposed to release that 150 mile data.

If it is 150 mile data, that would be right in line with the ramcharger doing 145 miles on battery and the rest in gas. With the scout being 500 mile range vs 700 ramcharger, I assume that just means a smaller gas tank in the scout.

So many questions though. In the reveal vid, they showed the harvester having the generator in the back of the SUV. Maybe the same with the truck? If so, that means the terra harvester still might keep the frunk? What about the spare tire? Or maybe they have the generator in the frunk area like the ramcharger? (I doubt that though...I would assume they would keep the two platforms as similar as possible)

That's my question. We have two years to find out!
Well...actually, next year once the ramcharger comes out. I am assuming the ramcharger and harvester are going to perform about the same with how they handle being a EREV.

krs71

First Name
Krish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
hopefully quantumscape batteries will start trickling into Scout that they don't need the harvester range extender.

Lakesinai

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2121 Bronco OBX, 2019 Subaru Outback, 2011 Subar
Country flag
Hmm, I don't remember that in the unveiling event (and just rewatched that part of the video and it doesn't seem like the number is shown)....where did you get that info on 56:44?

I could have sworn..that this article ->

https://insideevs.com/news/738669/scout-traveler-terra-revealed/

Last night stated that it they received a pre-release article that stated the harvester was 150mile range on battery, and the rest gas, though...Its not there anymore. It does show the article was edited today to remove the "quad motor variant" so maybe they weren't supposed to release that 150 mile data.

If it is 150 mile data, that would be right in line with the ramcharger doing 145 miles on battery and the rest in gas. With the scout being 500 mile range vs 700 ramcharger, I assume that just means a smaller gas tank in the scout.

So many questions though. In the reveal vid, they showed the harvester having the generator in the back of the SUV. Maybe the same with the truck? If so, that means the terra harvester still might keep the frunk? What about the spare tire? Or maybe they have the generator in the frunk area like the ramcharger? (I doubt that though...I would assume they would keep the two platforms as similar as possible)

Well...actually, next year once the ramcharger comes out. I am assuming the ramcharger and harvester are going to perform about the same with how they handle being a EREV.
That's s nice article. Regarding the range on the Harvester versions, we do "know" that it will be less than the 350 miles of the EV versions. That is because the presenter did say that the generator and gas tank would take up battery space, and that means a smaller battery. 150 miles seems rather small, though, meaning that the generator is an engineering compromise. If the generator were to take up Frunk space, then you'd have a full 350 mile EV battery AND a Harvester generator, and that would be an amazing vehicle.

If the generator/tank replaces half the battery space, its 175 miles battery-only range; or if it takes 1/3 the battery space, its 231 miles battery range, minus a factor since battery calculations are not linear, I believe!

Design wise, it would have incredible range capacity (maybe the 700 miles like RAM) IF the generator replaced the Frunk. However, adding a generator motor and a tank without reducing battery size would add lots of weight! So it looks like the generator/gas tank/battery are by design sharing the same space.

This will be fun to watch!