Havrvester owners (future) here! Who's going EREV Electric + Gas Range Extender 🔋⛽️

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Country flag
Personally, I prefer all EV but this may be a good application for an EREV. I reserved the Harvester but may change that if I order.

zyglyrox

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 bronco
There was one review article pre-reveal that wrote about the possibility of a generator. It sold me, although I want to learn more. How does it work? Why doesn't the generator make the range infinite if I wait long enough for a generator charge? How big is the gas tank? The reveal said vaguely that the engine replaces some battery space, meaning the Harvester model has a smaller EV battery (it seems). What does that mean in battery capacity in a generator equipped model? Fascinating! And, HOW MUCH $ WILL THE GENERATOR COST!?
i would assume the motor isn’t strong enough to recharge at 100% efficiency, but per tank of gas you get 500 miles of range. that’s my HOPE.

cvollers

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Alltrack
Country flag
I mean...I reserved all 4 versions because...why not. Yes, most looking forward to a harvester terra. Our family is only EV right now, so would be nice to have 1 Ev version that we can use for long trips and not worry about superchargers or wasted time charging. (or...I can't even make it to some trailheads in my quad r1t)

The scouts look great....if they came out right now, or...2025. Across the board most specs are lower than something like my Rivians, unless they really keep true to their MSRPs. How are these going to look compared to competition in 2027?

I'm considering the Ramcharger to replace the r1t as our "roadtrip" or get to a trailhead vehicle. I'm not looking forward to ...owning a RAM or something that feels like it comes from a legacy car manufacturer. At least the scout looks more Rivian than volkswagen. But.......we are talking 2027....a ramcharger is 2025. And....700 mile range vs 500. Though still lots of unknowns. Like, harvester battery size and tank size, how it splits the 500 miles between EV/gas, etc. Like the Ramcharger is 145/550 miles ev/gas......what is the harvester? 250/500? Unknown.

A bigger EV to gas ratio would be nice...since in pure EV mode around town, a bigger battery will mean better sportiness/acceleration. I'm very worried about the Ramcharger EV only sluggishness. Even with the generator on, its only 4.5s 0-60.

Anyway, lots of unknowns but....exciting times to live in!
Based on the unveiling event, the Harvester is about 56:44 electric:generator. Keep in mind that the gas motor goes not power the wheels, it charges the battery.

cvollers

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Alltrack
Country flag
Unfortunately this wont help you at all. You'd still need to charge the battery to get more range.

The gas generator isn't connected to the drivetrain in any way. So it's really just an "Extender," which is how Scout is branding it. So think of the gas generator as just slowing down battery drain.
I think some of the EV-only battery capacity is given up for the Harvester gas tank.

cvollers

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Alltrack
Country flag
Darn. That was my fear, that I’d have to charge again at 500. It’s already SUCH a long trip… I just don’t think I can make it longer.
Or find a gas station before 500 miles or carry auxiliary fuel.

cvollers

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Alltrack
Country flag
I’m not sure that’s correct thinking, I may be a beer or two deep tonight, but since the gas engine is solely there for the battery, and the battery is smaller as well… I would like to assume 500 miles is the total range if you went solely from gas tank -> no charging -> gas tank ->then plug in for whatever sole EV range?
I’d like to know if that generator is always on, auto-on when battery is depleted to a given level, or manually operated. Maybe all three…

mackgriggs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, r1s, model y
Country flag
You must live far from the trailhead if you need 700 miles of range… I reserved the ramcharger too but I’m not sold on having gas sitting around in my garage for occasional use. It makes the garage stink and the generator likely burns dirty. My Jeep 4xes create an absolutely horrendous smell when the engine kicks on and it sounds so obnoxious. 500 miles of range just doesn’t seem necessary with the proliferation of charging infrastructure over the next few years. If this has 800 V architecture it shouldn’t take that long to charge. In my Ioniq 5 I nearly never have enough time to just use the bathroom or eat when we stop.
Yes, here in Boise, in my 330mile range r1t, there are plenty of trailheads I can't reach, like Northern sawtooth or whitecloud trailheads. Or driving towards jordan valley for owyhee river trips are impossible. Even up to recently going up to McCall was a challenge for Ev drivers (now there is a DCFC there). I should rephrase though....I can technically "make it" to the trailhead. Its getting to it and then driving back to a DCFC is the issue.

Even where you are in Moab there should be plenty of trailheads that are an issue to get to in southern utah. Like, I frequently do escalante trailheads...driving to and back from crack in the wall trailhead is going to be very difficult in an EV ( I don't want to charge at a level 2 charger somewhere for 4+ hours).

Do I need 700 mile range? Nope, a 500 mile scout would be just fine too. I mean...a 500 mile battery only EV would get me to probably any trailhead too. Though I would still prefer at least 1 EREV in my family (I currently have 4 EVs for me/wife/kids) that would serve as our road trip vehicle. With a gas generator...now I just removed all of the stopping every 2-2.5 hours and charging for 30-40 minutes. I just removed having to map out where I'm going to charge, or even if I can make it there or not.

I don't tow, but if I was hauling a boat, that 700 mile range is now 300 or less on the freeway. But the EREV towing gives you something invaluable.....you can "recharge" by just going to a gas station and pulling through and filling up. There are VERY few pull through DCFC stations, so if it was an EV, its totally impractical to constantly unhook your rig every time you need to charge.

In town....if I had a harvester or ramcharger....most likely I would have 0 gas in the tank or...just a couple of gallons. I imagine I would be running in pure EV mode 99% of the time, so I'm not worried about stink. I believe the consensus is that the generator is going to be running at peak efficiency/RPM so it should be "less stinky" than a normal PHEV.

cvollers

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Alltrack
Country flag
300-500 miles is not true to conditions.

Charged my Model 3 up to 330 miles and drove 65 MPH for total 150 miles with headwind and hills and it had 8 miles remaining when I arrived at next super charger?! Talk about range fear.

Another example, put a 5x8 trailer on my Ford Lightning and switched to tow mode, and trip computer shot down to 75 miles remaining range from 220 when placed in drive?!
I wonder what the Terra range will be when towing close to that 10K pound capacity…

ezvaldez

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bronco, 2022 Ford Maverick, 2022 Harley Davidson Custom
Country flag
My wife reserved the Harvester Traveler and I reserved the Harvester Terra. We're pretty excited!

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I wonder what the Terra range will be when towing close to that 10K pound capacity…
It all depends on the aerodynamics of the trailer. Generally the answer is a 50% penalty. Low trailer with limited drag penalty drops to 25%. Really tall and wide trailer, maybe 75% penalty. Weight is trivial vs aero.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don't tow, but if I was hauling a boat, that 700 mile range is now 300 or less on the freeway. But the EREV towing gives you something invaluable.....you can "recharge" by just going to a gas station and pulling through and filling up. There are VERY few pull through DCFC stations, so if it was an EV, its totally impractical to constantly unhook your rig every time you need to charge.
Any rear charge port location SUCKS for trailer towing. There are almost no pull-through stations so far. The left-side side-saddle Superchargers would work but that's only one per station and not all stations are set up with one. That means you have to disconnect your trailer.

Since it's a serial hybrid, you only need to use it when you really need it. My wife and I pulled a 24' travel trailer across country and back behind our Lightning in 2023. In 2024 we towed it from Maryland to Texas and back for the eclipse. It was much better to charge at Tesla Superchargers this year. However, with a need to charge about every 100 miles, there are lots of places in the US that are out of reach for all electric towing if you want to do more than 150 miles in a day.

zimm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Tremor, 2015 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Country flag
What we don't know is how the range extender works. It must be running as a generator instead of applying direct power to the wheels. So at the end of the 500 miles- the gas tank needs filling, but what's the battery status? Is it still 100% or does it need a super charge AND a gas fill? I'm assuming it would need both...

mataxis

First Name
Carson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Land Cruiser and 2024 Grand Highlander
Or find a gas station before 500 miles or carry auxiliary fuel.
The extender is a new concept for me, so apologies if I’m wrong … but my understanding is that since It’s not a combustion engine, you can’t just keep putting gas in it to extend the life of the battery in perpetuity. Can someone with 100% understanding chime in on this?

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Ford Ranger XLT, Jayco RV (Ford F53)
Country flag
I've reserved both but with gas/electric. Anyone know if theres a third row in the Traveler?
They didn't mention it and they would have, did say it was a six passenger but I am thinking only if you opt for the bench seat in front.

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Ford Ranger XLT, Jayco RV (Ford F53)
Country flag
Darn. That was my fear, that I’d have to charge again at 500. It’s already SUCH a long trip… I just don’t think I can make it longer.
Let's just hope that the extender, if not able to 'charge' the battery, will at least maintain the current charge level. I wish they had gone into more detail on i's operation.