Question about EREV Extended Range EVs on Long Trips (Harvester)

montgomery

First Name
Monte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2000 Land Rover Discovery
Country flag
Hi All-

I have absolutely no EV or Hybrid background and have a question about how EREVs work on extended journeys. I understand that as the charge is depleted the generator kicks on, recharging the batteries. In the case of the Scout it sounds like if you start with a full charge and a full gas tank you would get 500 miles of range.

But let's say you fully deplete the fuel tank on the generator as well as the charge down to basically zero and then stop at a gas station. Are EREV vehicles capable of giving you the full published range with only a tank of gas for the generator AND a depleted battery, or is the full range predicated on starting with a full charge AND a full tank of gas.

Obviously we don't know how the Harvester system itself works, but if anybody with a currrent EREV could chime in how their vehicle works I'd love to hear about it, specifially what the range difference is when you're only able to refill the fuel tank and not the battery as well.

Probity

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'24 Silverado 1500 WT CC, '23 Tucson SEL 2.5 gasser
Country flag
Sorry but I can't shed any practical experience feedback, I've had/driven ICE-only since 1969. I reckon it might be 1-2 years before we have any hard answers to detailed workings of the EREV system, we've got a wait for sure.

What happens when A/C is run for extended periods (I live in sweat-box S. LA), will the IC engine have auto stop-start, will it be a 3 or 4 cylinder (my SWAG is something in the 1.5-2 liter range but who knows, hope like hell it's a MPFI naturally aspirated engine and not forced induction), what might a range estimate be in a typical gridlock hurricane evac scenario (that's 50% of the reason I opted for the range extender, I'd still plan on putting a 15 gal. or so gas fuel transfer tank in the bed like I currently do with my ICE PU), what happens to payload when you opt for the range extender, and on and on.

If in 1-2 years I find the actual Scout specs don't meet my expectations, I get my $100 refunded and go to whatever Plan B is out there.

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning; 2003 Mercury Marauder
Country flag
This is something we can only theorize about at this point however it seems unlikely to me that it would wait until the battery was depleted to start charging as I doubt the "engine" will provide enough power on its own.

My guess is that once a "low" battery level is reached, the generator kicks in and charges to a "high" battery level. Ideally these "low" and "high" setting will be user adjustable.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Several
Depends on how big the gas tank is. If it’s anything like the now-discontinued Chevy Volt, the ICE engine can keep up with recharging the battery while you’re driving, meaning you can go for as long as it’s got fuel. The Volt had an 8.9 gallon gas tank. We’ll see what the Scouts come with.

Do note: the Scout will be nowhere near as efficient as the Volt, which got around 40 mpg when running in gas regen mode. With the aero, weight, and tire size of the Scout, you’d be lucky to get half that. So if the gas tank is 10 gallons and it can recharge the battery for 20 miles of range per gallon of gas, then you’d get around 200 miles if you were starting with a full gas tank and zero charge. You can sort of see something like this in the published stats. 350 miles for the EV. 500 for the Harvester, so that would be around 150 miles of range on gas once the battery was depleted.

So let’s imagine you’re out in the wild, exploring in areas that have gas stations but zero charging infrastructure. Based on the above, you’d be stopping for gas every 110-130 miles or so.

Last edited:

mackgriggs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, r1s, model y
Country flag
I bet its going to be more like 150 miles on battery and 350 miles on gas with the harvester, similar to the ramcharger with its 145 ev and 555 gas miles (vs the 1500 rev which can get up to 500 miles ev only on biggest battery). The battery size is reduced (even said so in the reveal video) to fit the gas tank, so it can't have 350 miles EV range when the non-harvester version is 350 miles ev range with full size battery.

OP
OP
montgomery

montgomery

First Name
Monte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2000 Land Rover Discovery
Country flag
I bet its going to be more like 150 miles on battery and 350 miles on gas with the harvester, similar to the ramcharger with its 145 ev and 555 gas miles (vs the 1500 rev which can get up to 500 miles ev only on biggest battery). The battery size is reduced (even said so in the reveal video) to fit the gas tank, so it can't have 350 miles EV range when the non-harvester version is 350 miles ev range with full size battery.
That makes sense, I think I saw the 150 mile battery-only spec for the Harvester somewhere but can't find it now. I suppose in that case, after you deplete the initial charge and gas tank you'd be at about 350 miles range per fill up, which isn't terrible.

MnLakeBum

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Bronco, ‘18 Range Rove Diesel, ‘15 Tesla
Country flag
It’s anyone’s guess how much the range will be with the gas engine once the battery is dead. We don’t know what size the Harvester battery will be compared to the all electric model. Here’s an article about it where the CEO indicates the gas + version will have a smaller battery.

https://insideevs.com/news/738757/scout-range-extender-gas-option/

MnLakeBum

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Bronco, ‘18 Range Rove Diesel, ‘15 Tesla
Country flag
That makes sense, I think I saw the 150 mile battery-only spec for the Harvester somewhere but can't find it now. I suppose in that case, after you deplete the initial charge and gas tank you'd be at about 350 miles range per fill up, which isn't terrible.
It would also allow us to drive it the 1,900 miles down to FL from MN without having to stop and charge like we do each October and May. We are about to make that Journey next week. I’m too impatient to make that trip in a BEV.

JP1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 JLU Rubicon 4xe
Country flag
I caught that also, Battery half the size of the EV.
so guessing roughly 175ish battery and 300-325 on dino juice. 🤷‍♂️

Beach_Bum

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Black Diamond Bronco
Country flag
Since we are discussing hypotheticals, if one swaps the coil pack on the generator, then it would in theory charge the battery quicker on less fuel giving an even greater extended range than the OEM 500 miles. I look at it as no different than tuning an ICE for better performance. Someone will "tune" the generator, to gain efficiencies.