1ST Modification will be changing out all terrain tires

Trailguide79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Golf R
Country flag
I will be going with more highway friendly wheels and tires as my 1st modification besides heat rejecting window films.

Unsprung weight effects performance (btaking, steering, accelerating), component wear (brakes, suspension components), and efficiency quite substantially. If the Traveler sees daily driver duty, I see no reason to keep heavy all terrain tires on.

I will keep the OEM all terrain tires mounted to OEM wheels in my garage if I wanted to use them for some fun stuff, but daily tires I will be using something less noisy, better wearing, and probably some all season tire variant.

Frankly I see a lot of efficiency to be gained, and additional performance to be had by swapping to a sensible set of all-season tires.

Unsure of what wheel options will be available, but this is my intention so far.

Does anyone have OEM wheel bolt patterns and tire sizes available?

While some love a beefy large tire set up, and it looks great for rugged terrain, I'll simply keep the stockers to toss on if I was to go to a meet up.

What are other's thoughts on this?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Launch Edition
Country flag
For what it's worth, the BFGs (if they stick with those for production) are some of the lightest ATs I've come across. Well, that's for the KO2 - I haven't checked the KO3 yet because they haven't released any sizes that I could make use of quite yet - but I'd assume they have continued that lightweight (relative to other ATs, of course) trend. I see what you're getting at though with the way you plan to use it. Makes sense to me. 👍

I guess I'm kind of on the opposite side of the topic. We have a lot of off road terrain very close by and we are constantly going on mild to medium dirt/gravel/rocky (often jagged volcanic rock) roads and trails on most weekends. Long story short, for my intended use if it doesn't come with at least a semi-aggressive AT out of the gate, I'll need to buy tires right away or risk a puncture considering the terrain we get out on because I don't want to have tire issues at 30, 75, or 100+ miles from civilization. Especially considering we often don't have cell service on those trails. I would actually love to see a 37 inch option from the factory purely because we would make use of the extra ground clearance, but that's asking a lot and it sounds like there's virtually zero possibility of them cramming a 37 under the Terra bed since they've already made it clear that even a 35 will need to be mounted in the bed. It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out.

OP
OP

Trailguide79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Golf R
Country flag
For what it's worth, the BFGs (if they stick with those for production) are some of the lightest ATs I've come across. Well, that's for the KO2 - I haven't checked the KO3 yet because they haven't released any sizes that I could make use of quite yet - but I'd assume they have continued that lightweight (relative to other ATs, of course) trend. I see what you're getting at though with the way you plan to use it. Makes sense to me. 👍

I guess I'm kind of on the opposite side of the topic. We have a lot of off road terrain very close by and we are constantly going on mild to medium dirt/gravel/rocky (often jagged volcanic rock) roads and trails on most weekends. Long story short, for my intended use if it doesn't come with at least a semi-aggressive AT out of the gate, I'll need to buy tires right away or risk a puncture considering the terrain we get out on because I don't want to have tire issues at 30, 75, or 100+ miles from civilization. Especially considering we often don't have cell service on those trails. I would actually love to see a 37 inch option from the factory purely because we would make use of the extra ground clearance, but that's asking a lot and it sounds like there's virtually zero possibility of them cramming a 37 under the Terra bed since they've already made it clear that even a 35 will need to be mounted in the bed. It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out.
With what you are using it for, and with a Terra, I would have a setup in the bed that allows for 2 spares, along with more even weight distribution. I would think each wheel would be 100+ pounds, but with it being static weight vs unsprung weight it would be less of an issue.

I have seen calculations that have 1 pound static weight equate to 8-10 pounds of unsprung weight, but it appears that the weight is more substantial the closer the weight is to the tread.

If you go with the dual tire set up in the bed, it would look phenomenal, and balanced. Especially if a roll bar is added, with the weight of the vehicle, I am uncertain how thick a functional.....bed mounted roll bar would need to be without it just being a "light bar".

If Scout is enjoyable as a daily driver, I can see many customers having 2-3 sets. One for highway (especially long trips above 300 miles one way), OEM, and one for dedicated offroad.

chopsui

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure, Limestone, 21Inch
Country flag
I seriously doubt those BFGs are going to be standard. They've already mentioned that there will be both road focused and off-road focused configurations.

I don't think most people have let it sink in that the reveal trucks represent maxed out option configurations.

Noremac2007

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch, 2024 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Country flag
My terra will be spec'ed for offroad trim.. it will get 37" ko2's to match our two broncos pretty quick off the bat too.