What are you planning on towing? With Traveler or Terra?

Foobar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Rivian R1T, '19 Tesla Model 3P, '22 Energica Eva Ribelle
Country flag
I specifically put a reservation in for the Terra Harvester because I need a capable tow vehicle that can go the distance. I currently pull an Airstream Trade Wind 25FBT with my Rivian R1T Quad/Large and that means I stop every 120-150 miles to charge up. The Rivian only has a 400v system and it has less than ideal thermal management which means the charging gets derated after a while. That all adds up to not being a great time for long trips. The Terra with the range extender and 800v charging system is going to make pulling the Airstream a much more friendly experience (aside from the less than ideal charge port location being in the rear instead of the front which means I'll have to drop the trailer when charging unless I block multiple charging spaces.)

Anyone else looking at a Scout for similar reasons?

ocnsvl

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram1500, Mini Cooper S
Country flag
I too have placed an order for the Terra Harvester. We pull an enclosed car trailer which checks in at about 8500 pounds when fully loaded for endurance races. Almost always being constrained for travel times makes frequent stops for charging a non-starter, so the gas engine charrging system is a must if we go the EV truck route. Needing to drop the trailer for charging will be a big negative but most charging stations are not properly configured for folks towing trailers. The one thing that is not clear to me is what are the various storage spots in the Terra, excluding the Frunk. I find the Rambox system on our current Ram 1500 to be a great place for hitch ball mounts, tow straps etc. I am also curious about what towing/trailer technology will be included or available. Supporting trailer cameras and TMPS are things that should be included.

OP
OP
Foobar

Foobar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Agreed that most charging stations aren't properly configured for trailers, but I'm pleasantly surprised with how I fared on two recent long trips: Long Island NY to Orlando FL and back, and Long Island NY to Sedalia MO and back. On both trips, I only had to drop the trailer a couple of times with my Rivian. I charged mostly at Tesla Superchargers (I have the NACS adapter) and I would either pull up sideways on the left of the Tesla charging spaces and take up one charging stall and a bunch of empty parking spaces to the left, or on an angle on the right most charging stall and blocking some empty parking spaces on the right. In some parking lots that had a lot of space, I could just pull straight up into one of the Tesla spaces and just leave the entire trailer hanging out the back and other cars had no problems getting around me.

In some stations with pull-through capabilities, it was a breeze - just like gas station islands, pull up on either side and Bob's your uncle.

For the few times I had to drop the trailer, it's because there weren't available spaces to block.

With the Scout's port on the rear and the trailer still in tow, I'll only be able to pull in sideways from the left, and I'll have to block two charging stalls so that the rear clears it to the left-most charger with the front of the truck blocking the second as well. Not ideal.

That all said, I'm hoping that I can just fill up with gas for those times that an easy charge session isn't available and I can keep on trekking without augmenting with a DC charge, but time will tell if that's actually feasible.

Mousehunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F250,, LJ, Golf TDI, Tacoma
Country flag
I occasionally tow heavy trailers - so I will not be giving up my F250. Those are gooseneck trailers and I have no clue if even the Terra will be rated for a gooseneck. Likewise, I doubt the Scout would really enjoy towing my RV (abet it is probably within the spec for the Terra).

That said, I also have lighter trailers. I have 2 3 boat trailers, both are probably rated at 3k (abet one is probably only weighing in at 2k - the 3rd is much lighter rated). I also have a 3 or 3.5k utility trailer that I use quite often (towing a 1500lb lawnmower). In a pinch, I probably could tow my light horse trailer (7k) - abet it would not be to shows, but to the local vet. Last thing I would want to do is need to recharge an EV towing a horse trailer with 2 or 3 horses in it. That said, I really do not like using that horse trailer - because it is light, it does not ride nearly as smoothly for the horses, and I have had multiple injuries in it. My horse was lame for 6 months due to an injury during an emergency vet visit (the horse had a minor injury, but was stressed and it injured itself much worse on the way to the vet).

I technically have a 2.5 ton trailer. While the Traveler could in theory tow it - I don't know if it could be hitched correctly as it is an offroad trailer with an extreme hitch height (not to mention a pintle hitch that requires more clearance above it - pretty sure it would hit the tire. But I will most likely try to see if it fits... I have not built it out yet - but I got it cheap with the plans to make an offroad mini camper on it.

MnLakeBum

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi E Tron GT, ‘23 Bronco, ‘24 Range Rover
Country flag
I have 3 boats all between 23 and 28 feet that with trailer are between 6,500 and 8,000 lbs. but I only tow each of them a couple of times each year. The two in MN stay in the water all summer and the Whaler we have in FL stays in the water year round other than maIntenance. When I’m towing any of them it’s normally not more than 10 miles. Same goes for our two Sea Doos that only get towed twice each year.

I did tow the Whaler the 1,900 miles from FL to Minnesota in the spring of 2023 but I now leave it in FL.

The pontoon with trailer weighs almost 8,000 lbs and has a beam of 9’6” so is illegal to tow without a special permit.

IMG_1548.jpeg
IMG_1547.jpeg

Last edited:

jhscout

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Tesla MYP
Country flag
My ski boat! It is a 165 mile one way trip to the lake house for the summer. Then we have a small private ski lake about 20 miles away for spring/fall skiing. Super excited to have the range extender option! We don’t have any charge spots along the route.

IMG_1754.jpeg

OP
OP
Foobar

Foobar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Here's a picture of my Rivian R1T with the Airstream Trade Wind in its natural habitat...

W9jCmHK.jpg

I hope to not spend as much time doing this with the Scout Terra Harvester!

Donnie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 tesla model y, 2024 VW Atlas, 2023 RAV4 hybrid, & 2002 Dodge Ram 1500
I tow my 23 ft bay boat to gulf and inland waterways. Usually 50 miles less one way. I pull a 18 ft tandem pipe trailer and will be buying a travel trailer soon thinking around 28ft atc trailer
IMG_2488.jpeg