What are you all planning on towing?

Foobar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Rivian R1T, '19 Tesla Model 3P, '22 Energica Eva Ribelle
Country flag
I specifically put a reservation in for the Terra Harvester because I need a capable tow vehicle that can go the distance. I currently pull an Airstream Trade Wind 25FBT with my Rivian R1T Quad/Large and that means I stop every 120-150 miles to charge up. The Rivian only has a 400v system and it has less than ideal thermal management which means the charging gets derated after a while. That all adds up to not being a great time for long trips. The Terra with the range extender and 800v charging system is going to make pulling the Airstream a much more friendly experience (aside from the less than ideal charge port location being in the rear instead of the front which means I'll have to drop the trailer when charging unless I block multiple charging spaces.)

Anyone else looking at a Scout for similar reasons?

ocnsvl

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram1500, Mini Cooper S
Country flag
I too have placed an order for the Terra Harvester. We pull an enclosed car trailer which checks in at about 8500 pounds when fully loaded for endurance races. Almost always being constrained for travel times makes frequent stops for charging a non-starter, so the gas engine charrging system is a must if we go the EV truck route. Needing to drop the trailer for charging will be a big negative but most charging stations are not properly configured for folks towing trailers. The one thing that is not clear to me is what are the various storage spots in the Terra, excluding the Frunk. I find the Rambox system on our current Ram 1500 to be a great place for hitch ball mounts, tow straps etc. I am also curious about what towing/trailer technology will be included or available. Supporting trailer cameras and TMPS are things that should be included.

OP
OP
Foobar

Foobar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Rivian R1T, '19 Tesla Model 3P, '22 Energica Eva Ribelle
Country flag
Agreed that most charging stations aren't properly configured for trailers, but I'm pleasantly surprised with how I fared on two recent long trips: Long Island NY to Orlando FL and back, and Long Island NY to Sedalia MO and back. On both trips, I only had to drop the trailer a couple of times with my Rivian. I charged mostly at Tesla Superchargers (I have the NACS adapter) and I would either pull up sideways on the left of the Tesla charging spaces and take up one charging stall and a bunch of empty parking spaces to the left, or on an angle on the right most charging stall and blocking some empty parking spaces on the right. In some parking lots that had a lot of space, I could just pull straight up into one of the Tesla spaces and just leave the entire trailer hanging out the back and other cars had no problems getting around me.

In some stations with pull-through capabilities, it was a breeze - just like gas station islands, pull up on either side and Bob's your uncle.

For the few times I had to drop the trailer, it's because there weren't available spaces to block.

With the Scout's port on the rear and the trailer still in tow, I'll only be able to pull in sideways from the left, and I'll have to block two charging stalls so that the rear clears it to the left-most charger with the front of the truck blocking the second as well. Not ideal.

That all said, I'm hoping that I can just fill up with gas for those times that an easy charge session isn't available and I can keep on trekking without augmenting with a DC charge, but time will tell if that's actually feasible.