Tell us your memories of your old Scouts

73 Scout II

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Maverick, 2013 Mercedes GLK 250, 2005 Mini Cooper S
I was 5 years old when my dad rolled up in a brand new 73 Scout II with a straight 6 and 4 speed manual transmission. The memories we made with that vehicle. From road trips from So Cal all the way up the coast into Canada, trips to Colorado and down into Mexico. I got the keys to drive it in high school and it taught me how to off road (and wrench on it). Two of my brothers built their own Scouts, stripped them down to the frame and made it their own. Looking forward to making some new memories in the Terra and Traveler!

Probity

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'24 Silverado 1500 WT CC, '23 Tucson SEL 2.5 gasser
Country flag
I'm old-ish. Around 1971 (I forget exactly when) I lived in CA at the time and bought a very used early-60's IH Scout 80 with Travel Top (think it was a '63 or '64 but can't remember). It had been ridden hard and put up wet. But I was young, foolish, didn't know much about auto mechanicals in general, and met the description of "at the time it seemed like a good idea". Had it for about a year and sold it after needed repairs (new rear diff ring and pinion, brakes, heater core, carb, plugs/points/etc, "learn by doing!") made it sellable.

My memories are that it was the polar opposite of 'refined'. As bare-bones basic as you can imagine, incredibly noisy. It did have roll-up door windows (vs sliders), I remember that. Vacuum wipers (not a fan). The 4-banger in it (152 in3) was exactly 1/2 of a 304 in3 IH V8, strange.

An Autotrader Classics article says it best:

Make no mistake about it: Early Scouts are primitive. If you’ve never driven one, prepare for a trip back in time. There’s virtually no sound deadening, and sound reverberates through the steel box body and the three-speed-backed four-cylinder engine doesn’t make much power. These vehicles will not cruise happily down the freeway at 75 mph. In fact, they probably won’t hit 75 mph – not with the four-cylinder, anyway. The rudimentary suspension and four-wheel-drum brake systems are archaic, as well.

I did use it offroad a few times, the drive from SF Bay Area to Sierras was deafening and slow (yeah I don't remember ever getting above 70 mph). But at the time cost me under $1000 used so there's that...