BradScout

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mav Truck
Country flag
Wondering how the Harvester gas engine is going to be cooled.
It may not be possible while sitting still due to Carbon Monoxide and heat buildup. Ya know there is that one dude that will try to run Harvester in their garage. 😂

Probity

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'24 Silverado 1500 WT CC, '23 Tucson SEL 2.5 gasser
Country flag
Wondering how the Harvester gas engine is going to be cooled.
It may not be possible while sitting still due to Carbon Monoxide and heat buildup. Ya know there is that one dude that will try to run Harvester in their garage. 😂
A good question with a planned rear-mounted engine. My bias initially thinks of current conventional water-cooled IC engines, but this is VW at heart, maybe a return to air-cooled like the older Beetles?

@POY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Ionic, R1T
Country flag
Thanks for the info.

Couple questions I have in mind after seeing the photo. Does anyone know if the under body is protected by a “shield” from off road hazards? Also, whats the expected maintenance of EV + Range Gas Extender?

A full EV doesn’t have to worry about oil change and everything else a gas engine would need. So I’m curious how the engineering/mechanics work with Harvester.

Melrose

First Name
Albrecht
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy 2500HD
Country flag
I’ve read that the Harvester is a generator, designed to charge the EV battery, and that it can add 150 miles of range on top of 350 miles of range supplied by the battery pack. OK, sounds good!

If the EREV models average ~3 miles per kWh, then the generator would need to produce 50kWh to add 150 miles of range (leaving efficiency losses aside). So you head out, traveling 60mph. In less than 6 hours your battery would be empty, but thankfully the generator kicked in at the 100 mile mark, and ran for ~7 hours generating 50kWh. This scenario suggests a 7kW generator …+/-12hp. It will be interesting to learn how heat is managed, especially if it can run while parked. Hoping that sharper and better schooled minds can fine tune these assumptions and shed some light on how Scout has solved this.